Friday 7 August 2015

Junior’s visit to Akwa Ibom NUJ


BY UBONG SAMPSON

It was on this same month, some two years back, precisely on the first day; when members of the prestigious pen profession under the Nigeria Union of Journalists (NUJ) body gathered to elect a new leadership to paddle the affairs of their union for the next three years. To the Press Union members, it was just another usual day that ends and begins the leadership of the union; but one thing I am sure they never knew was that the decision and choice of the majority which eventually won the contest between two strong contenders of who to head the leadership team was indirectly a date with destiny for and in the union.
Elder Patrick Albert, the man who took the 1st August, 2013 day and his Rebirth Team did come with lots of promises, even though the fulfilment of the said promises was far from being a guarantee. After all, this is Nigeria, where wining an election is almost dependent on how many people you are able to deceive with both imaginable and unimaginable promises.
With a campaign identity of a “new phase” for the union, Elder Patrick’s coming on board arose questions bothering on the possibility of achieving the phase change for the union. But after two years of total commitment and focus, there seems to be visible answers to these questions, as the relentless efforts of the Patrick Albert led NUJ  leadership has paid off with satisfactory results.
To anyone who has been keenly following the activities of the Akwa Ibom NUJ since August 2013, it would be an interestingly worthy time observing the unfolding events within this period. And the story, if narrated, would be no different from that of the writer. From the humane and humbly disposition of the chairman which has earned him the love, admiration and support of the members, as well as a firm grip on the union to the full incorporation of all which has made way for a sense of belonging to members who often times, have confessed to how comfortable they always feel being around the chairman. No wonder anyone can just walk up to the chairman even in the peak of what would be described as an important function, without fear of being rudely turned down. For in situations like this, one thing his certain- Mr Chairman will always give out his attention and listening ears.
Among the numerous achievements of Elder Albert in his so far two years on the helm of the Press Union’s affairs is one very outstanding rebranding of the union secretariat in Uyo, otherwise known as the International Press Centre. This very giant stride which process is ongoing and at a fast progressing speed, has been one essential need of the union in years past. The speed of the said rebranding progress has opened mouths and left them unconsciously wide in astonishment, especially while comparing the short space of time with the rate of work done so far. An evidence in this regard is my neighbour’s eight (8) year old son, Junior who bumped into my apartment last weekend to express his own share of the surprise, as caused by the superlative leadership virtues of the Akwa Ibom State Council Chairman of NUJ, Elder Patrick Albert.
Precisely on Saturday, mid of the weekend while preparing to join my media colleagues at the traditional wedding ceremony of sports man, Aniekan Udofia of Radio Nigeria, Atlantic 104.5 FM, when Junior stormed my apartment with a rather rudely approaching question which came even before he could remember to send any greetings my way.

Junior: Uncle, has the NUJ won any oil block in the state or country?
Me: Junior, I am sure you have been thought what to do first when you visit someone’s house before saying or doing any other thing.

Junior: Sorry Uncle. Good afternoon. Can you please answer my question now?
Me: What was the question?

Junior: Uncle, I am also sure you have been thought how to hear someone who speaks to you from a close range without asking him to repeat himself.
Me: Junior, did you come to attack me this afternoon?

Junior: No Uncle. Far from it, even though you started the attack.
Me: Junior, as you can see, I was very busy before you came in. I am going for a marriage ceremony and I need to meet up with someone who is driving me to the venue. So are you repeating yourself or not?

Junior: Ok Uncle. I was asking if your union, the NUJ is now into oil or drug business?
Me: First you said oil, now it is oil and drug. By the way, what kind of a sick question is that? How does oil and drug business relate to journalism and from where did you get such information?

Junior: Uncle, I thought you didn’t hear me at first. Anyways, when last did you visit the NUJ press centre?
Me: It is about a month or there about. Why did you ask?

Junior: No wonder you are finding it hard to understand what I am talking about. Well, I was passing by the press centre on my way back from my aunt’s place and I noticed trucks of sand going in and out of the premises. When I made to see which of the swamps your people were trying to fill with the sands, what I saw inside really shocked me. New structures under construction everywhere with some nearly completed.
Me: So the structures looked to you like refineries and drug factories?

Junior: Not that, Uncle. I had passed through that same road less than two months ago and had even walked into the premises to greet a former class teacher of mine whom I saw in there. I can recall not seeing any of those structures then. Seeing this sudden progress and the speed at which it is taking, I was forced to conclude that only monetary proceeds from an oil or drug business can perform such magic.
Me: Junior, that was an unnecessary hasty conclusion and a very wrong one at that. As a matter of fact, your conclusion is very wrong. The NUJ in Akwa Ibom has nothing to do with any oil blog or drug factory. By the way, what makes you think the union needs oil or drug money to fund its renovation projects?

Junior: Uncle it depends on the kind of renovation involved. As for what I saw and the rest I have been told, are underway, a union that has press conferences as a major source of income is far from an independent funding of such projects.
Me: This is the union’s press centre you are talking about. The aim here is just to digitise the place with a few new structure to complement the old ones. So if the union has need for a digital secretariat, what’s the big deal in arranging one for itself.

Junior: Uncle, you are talking as if building a digital press centre is all about dreaming of having, or wishing for one. What my eyes have seen today is beyond horses as wishes. And if you must know, I made some enquiries about the ongoing development and I was made to know a whole lot.
Me: Like what and what?

Junior: Like the mini club house that is near completion. And while I was there, a double swing glass door meant for the main entrance of the club house which is worth about a hundred and fifty thousand naira (N150,000) arrived with some persons coming up to fix it immediately. The club house, like I was told, has a dual sitting space with an interlocked walkway diving both and leading to the main entrance. The club house is well tiled and decorated to modern standard with a double counter in it, with an under-construction kitchen beside it for food related services. And according to my inspection guider, the proposed seats and tables for the inner bar of the club house are modern and highly classy. Hmmmm Uncle, I never knew journalists too, equally have taste for good things.
Me: That means you were sick before now. Are journalists not humans beings like you and others who have taste for good things; and do I look to you like I don’t have taste for good things?

Junior: Uncle, I wasn’t referring to you. Besides, you are just one of the thousands of journalists in existence.
Me: But in your fallacy of hasty generalisation, you should have seen me as a good premise to at least, an inductive conclusion, according to the philosophers that, since Uncle Ubong is a journalist and Uncle Ubong has taste for good things, then all journalists probably have taste for good things. That’s by the way. So what else did you see at the secretariat?

Junior: At the extreme end of the large building under construction spaced fifteen meters away from the fence. The space, my guider said, is a reservoir for a double soak-away as permanent disposals for wastes from the convenience. In my measurement of the building, I had 59 by 13 meters and from the designed model, it is obviously going to be a two storey office complex with an escape staircase for emergencies which is aside the general one for regular use. I was told the proposed ICT unit of the complex will be enough in space and facilities to contain up to 250 users at a time. Even a section of the complex will be rented for commercial use. Uncle have you now seen an evidence of oil money here?
Me: Junior I have seen nothing.

Junior: Ok Uncle. Are you also aware that also to appear at the secretariat premise is a dual porter’s house meant to service the union and a 34 by 20 meters guest house that is also proposed for construction soon?
Me: No, I am not.


Junior: Then you need to visit the place like I did. And since you are a member, I think you will have access to more information.
Me: Is that all you saw and heard?

Junior: No. I was yet to tell you about the swimming pool that is coming up soon. According to my guider, the pool will be placed between the office complex and the guest house. Also, the centre will be restructured to have a dual way- one for entry and the other for exit. This will be made possible by an egg-shape sit out between the two gates, and a roundabout just closeby. As a matter of fact, that is what the sands from the trucks I saw were meant for. Also there is a proposed driveway to run from the gate to office complex where a modern carport is under design to be.
Me: Hmmmmm! If all you have said are true, then I perceive another version of uncommon transformation.

Junior: Uncle, I thought I would hear you say you are beginning to perceive an oil or drug related money.
Me: Junior! Junior!! Junior!!! How many times did I call you?

Junior: Three times, Uncle. But how does this reveal the source of the money responsible for the huge projects of your union? And lest I forget, I also heard your chairman is planning to revisit the designed plan of the abandoned building facing the old office block. As a matter of fact, he wants to create a linkage between both buildings. That way, one would not have to be climbing up and down staircases before visiting both buildings. The whole of that section, I have been told, will be given to the International Institute of Journalism for better learning convenience, especially now that the institution has been accredited to award National Diploma and Higher National Diploma certificates. Uncle, if this is not oil or drug money, then it must be ritual money.
Me: Junior, enough of this money source predictions. You should be commending my chairman for uncommonly making judicious use of former governor Akpabio’s largesse by ensuring...

Junior (cuts in): wait Uncle, did I hear you say former governor Akpabio?
Me: Yes of course! former governor, now Senator Godswill Akpabio performed the groundbreaking of the proposed new union which process you are testifying to today. And it was during the occasion that he made a donation of a good sum of money which I believe he redeemed before leaving office.

Junior: No wondee...........rr! But how come I totally forgot this oil block or a better alternative to it?
Me: No comments, Junior.

Junior: Hmmmm! Uncle, I think your chairman deserves good commendation and awards of property development and finance manager. This kind of feat is very rare in financially weak organisations as the press union. This man called Patrick Albert has proven the elder title in his name and will sure leave the union far better than he met when he came on board. Uncle, this are the ind of men that move and inspire me, and his likes, methinks, need to be encouraged to go farther and higher in leadership roles.
Me: Junior, you can initiate the encouragement campaign for Patrick Albert and trust me, I, as well as many other witnesses to his strides will join.

Junior: Uncle, can you help me meet your chairman?
Me: Look, my chairman may be a public figure and drives a green number plate car, but he has no police to move around with. He is always open to, and free with everyone. So just take another trip to the press centre and if you are lucky to meet him in office, take a spot in the queue and you will surely meet him.

Junior: Ok Uncle, I will have to take my leave now. But before that, I want to ask you final question.
Me: Ok. Am listening and I hope this would be final for real.

Junior: Uncle, I heard you mention Aniekan Udofia of Atlantic FM as the groom in the marriage you are to attend. Is that right?
Me: Ye...s!

Junior: But Uncle, I know him too well and if I may ask, is the Aniekan that is marrying today older than you?
Me: Junior!

Junior: Yes Uncle!
Me: Leave my apartment.

Junior: Why Uncle? Anyways, I will leave, but think about my question because you may have to answer it later.

No comments:

Post a Comment