Thursday 13 February 2014

2015: I am humbled by the call to serve - Effanga

2015: I am humbled by the call to serve - Effanga

 At times like these when politicians see politics as an avenue to loot and take money from where they did not sow, Hon Samuel Effanga, the Uyo born Political maverick sees politics as a call to serve, he is of the opinion that when we are discussing politics, it should be all encompassing and all-embracing were every member of the society is allowed to partake and also contribute to the growth of the state and the nation. It was a beautiful morning last week when this reporter had a phone interaction with Effanga and it was not difficult for an appointment of an interview to be brokered with the youthful and ever smiling politician that afternoon. At three O’ Clock, this reporter strolled into the OsongAman residence of Samuel Effanga for the exercise. Effanga was clad in a red stripped T shirt with a grey coloured Chinose and a utility shoe to match. Effanga was in his elements when he poured glowing tributes to Governor Godswill Akpabio whom he described as a man that understands what leadership is all about. He admitted that he has been under pressure to contest the Uyo federal constituency seat come 2015. He regretted that there is a challenge in the PDP his party at the national levelbut expressed optimism that the National Chairman, Adamu Muazu will weather the stop and reconciles all warring actors. It was an interaction that was worth the time. Read Excerpts as served from the Newsroom of THE INK Newspapers.


Hon. Commissioner, a couple of days ago you hosted the crème of Uyo federal constituency to a get together, what gave rise to such a gathering?

Thank you, it is part of me that from time to time I should host my people and share some moments of happiness. We needed to thank God for the New Year and to interact and look for ways forward. We also interact in politics and some other socio economic issues that bother our people. It was an occasion to really appreciate God for taking us into the year 2014 and to say that we are ready to face the year ahead.

During that session, a lot of people spoke and their speeches seem to have called on you to get set and contest the House Representative set for the Federal Constituency, (Uyo). Where you prepared for this call or are you ready to answer the call?
Honestly, I was moved by such show of confidence and display of Goodwill by our people of Uyo federal constituency, primarily those members of our constituency and those outside the constituency. A number of people spoke on that event in such a manner that I was humbled because I was at the same time surprised. It is not even an event that we packaged for that purpose. People were moved by the passion and the spirit and for the fact that the season of preparing for another political dispensation has just begun. It was also a forum that people spoke and reviewed matters, we were happy. And I appreciate those who made contributions towards the success of that event and even those who called on me to brace up to serve my constituency, it is an opportunity to say thank you and of course who am I not to heed such clarion call by my people? So I have made myself available to serve my Federal constituency.

What passion do you have for the people of your constituency?
Thank You, Politics is an important service to God and humanity, the spirit of service is in me and that is what I live for, my passion for service is very strong that I have sacrificed and will continue to sacrifice a whole lot of things to be able to serve my people. And I belief that it is another opportunity to make positive contributions to the political development of my society, to the economic development and the moral upgrading of our people and make sure that if given the opportunity, we will have cause to thank God. It is a call for higher responsibility.

To you what is politics and service all about?

Politics is about governance, politics is about an organized governance of the people, the administration of the resources which belong to the people. That is the essence of politics. Most of it all, it is to be responsible to the people within the given society or community. To ensure the welfare, the security of lives and properties and the social economic well being of the people within a well-defined community. Politics is governance. I always say, I am driven by a strong conscience, I read in the Bible Ecclesiastes 5 vs 9, it states that the profit of the earth is for all.  I have a very strong inspiration from that scripture. Everybody God has created within the boundary of the Geographical area has the right to partake of the God given resources within that area. So that is politics and that is service.

You have served the people of this state as a commissioner of science and technology tell us your story and experience as a commissioner.
It was a very a rewarding experience, for me it was a nice experience to serve. And as a member of the state executive council, it was also a high service of responsibility to the state as a whole. Within that time, I gave out my best to discharge the responsibilities that were given to me; I was also passionate about serving the state in the development that went on. Sometimes as commissioner and as a member of the state executive council, no matter your contributions, they are not personal to you; it was a collective responsibility to serve the state when given an assignment. What I always like to say is that, Yes I was a part of what we call today the uncommon transformation in Akwa Ibom state having been part of the administration. So that was my experience and it was a good one.

What Kind of a man is Chief Dr. Godswill Akpabio?
From my experience having worked with him for that period, he is somebody who is very liberal and passionate about development issues and progress of the people. He has a spirit that lifted this state to where we are today. I would say the man Godswill Akpabio is a very Liberal man that has the passion for service and development of the state. And that is why by the grace of God we have witness a tremendous development we call The Uncommon Transformation of Akwa Ibom.

Are you convinced that Uyo federal constituency has benefited from his administration?
Yes it is not the matter of conviction because that could have been personal but it is factual, it is in display by the number of developmental projects in the constituency and the state as a whole. Well! I don’t like to segment the state, I look at the state as one project for development and Uyo federal constituency has been part of it. We have seen a number of things in display, for me, he has so transformed the state especially the state capital to a level that the difference between the time he took over and now is wonderful and Uyo federal constituency if you want to narrow it down has benefitted fromthe development process.


How is life after your service as a commissioner?
It wasn’t a big difference except that you are no longer actively involved in the day to day activities of governance and official responsibilities, maybe the fact that you are not also in the office, perhaps puts less pressure on you. And also, you are not also enjoying some privileges of being in government. Why I say that it is not too different is that, even as a commissioner, I was not separated from the people, I have always maintained by Life style of being with the people. It wasn’t difficult for me to stay and to continue my life. And to thank God for whatsoever situation we find our self.

What does Law making mean to you as a person?
Lawmaking per say is also about making laws, contributing to making laws that governs the society, in better ways that seeks to improve the conditions of the people, to protect the integrity of your state and also to protect properties and human lives of the citizen in a given area. It is the formulation of rules that govern the society.

As a member of the PDP, are you not bothered about the ongoing challenges in the party where large numbers of people are defecting every day at the national level?
I am bothered of course as an interested party and loyal party man, and as somebody who is also a deep rooted member of the PDP. I am bothered because it is a major challenge to leadership. I am bothered because PDP has been a leading party in government. From the beginning of this present dispensation in 1991, they have always controlled the central government and they control majority of the state. And now we have crises that are challenging the leadership. As a member of the party, I feel measures must be taken by the leadership of the party to address the issues. So I am bothered. But I also know that even the crises we have is also about interest on who becomes what in the next dispensation. Inasmuch as I am bothered, I also have the belief that the party will come out of it even stronger.

Do you think President Goodluck Jonathan will win a second term?

 Yes, I believe he will. Even though he has not openly said that he is contesting, by the level of pressures on him to continue beyond 2015, a lot of people have called on him to go for another term and I myself, I am among those calling on him to run again. He will win because it is about the electorate; it is about the collective will of the entire Nigerians. By all arrangements I am so sure he will win.

You are the coordinator of a particular group Nigerian Mandate, whose aim is to work for the emergence of President Goodluck Jonathan, how far has your group gone in Akwa Ibom state to ensure that this man wins?
So far we have lined up a number of enlightenment and sensitization programmes. We in Akwa Ibom state will not have much problems supporting Jonathan for a second term. The leader of the state Chief Dr. Goodswill Akpabio has already endorsed the re-election of Goodluck Jonathan. That makes the work easy for us who are his subordinates of the administration. So for us, it is to continue to take the message to the grassroots and all parts of the state. And to call on our people to maintain that level of commitment that we did before. So for Akwa Ibom it is going to be a 100 percent return for Jonathan.  So Akwa Ibom is not the problem. However, as a group that has a national outlook, our duty is to project our support within and outside the state. That is what we have been doing so far and what we will continue to do. Akwa Ibom will not be a difficult place to market the president as soon as possible; we will market the President Dr. Goodluck Jonathan beyond the shores of Akwa Ibom so that people, fellow Nigerians will see the need to support him for another term beyond 2015

Why did you resign as a commissioner for Science and Technology because people don’t know why you took that decision till date?
Laughs I think we explained that, every opportunity in the executive council is not a permanent thing, at any given time, either due to one interest or the other, you are at liberty to resign may be to continue to pursue other aspirations. So it wasn’t a problem but the fact is that we needed to move on.

Are you satisfied with the level of Representation that National Assembly members from Akwa Ibom do offer their people because most times they seem lost, you don’t even see them seconding motions. And there is always that disconnect between them and members of their constituency. Are you satisfied with their level of representation?

The truth is that we are lucky we have a number of legislators, some are committed to their duties and some are not really making impacts. On the whole, I don’t always like to discredit people in leadership, what I will say is that they are doing their best. The essence of government is to always look for improvement, which is we feel that whatever they are doing, they can still do better and make greater impacts.

What is your relationship and acceptability within the local governments that make up your constituency?

Very cordial! In my nature, I am a much detribalized individual even in politics. It is just that politics demands some geographical division by political arrangement we are members of the same society and I see everybody as one. That fact that I am from Uyo does not mean that I am going to represent my Local government alone. I already know that I have a responsibility that will cover the whole constituency. We will carry everybody along by the grace of God. I have established that cordial relationship that goes around. So it won’t be difficult for us to flow.

As a former commissioner for science and technology are you satisfied with the level of scientific and technological development in the state?

Well, so far so good everything is going on well, Akwa Ibom has been given her due recognition to the development of science and technology with the creation of the ministry. Out of the 36 states of the federation as at when I left there were about 15 states with full fleshed Ministry of science and technology so it underscores the importance the state placed on science and technology development. I think that emphasis is still sustained. That is what shows you the focus of government. It is not in every state that you will see the ministry of science and technology. In Akwa Ibom we have the ministry and it has not scrapped. I am impressed because it has been fruitful and beneficial.

Did you go round our schools to look at the level of science and technology education being taught in the school?
Inasmuch as our own responsibility was not intervention programmes, we have the ministry of Education that is given the supervisory responsibility, ours was like an oversight responsibility by organizing intervention programmes to aid processes of Science and Technology, We conduct such programmes that will help these schools to gain exposure on science and technology issues. So that was done and I believe it is still being done.

Let’s come back to Uyo local government and the challenges of the PDP in the Local government. What advice do you have for the key players in that department?
The PDP is to come together and embrace peace, to uphold the tenets of democratic governance and try to carry the people along especially those that have been given opportunities in government. It is for us to show that goodwill and encourage people to embrace the party because when the people are happy, they will embrace the party, so far so good, I believe PDP will work to turn around the fortunes of the people and the party faithful and to ensure good governance.

Why do you think your people want you at the House of Representatives, don’t you think they want you to come and run because of their selfish interest?
Laughs! The encouragement of the people is okay and your determination to get there is another thing. We appreciate the encouragement which is part of the politics. We are also willing to make the needed sacrifice to lift the standards of life of our people and the economic wellbeing of our people. It is part of the politics.

If you eventually decide to run and you emerge as a winner, what is the assurance that you won’t get lost just like others?
The guarantee is that we have the passion to serve and I have the spirit of service and there is a strong desire to make contributions and make positive impacts. Until that desire is fulfilled personally I won’t be satisfied. So it is not possible that with such strong desire we will get lost. It is not possible, above all we have all it takes to make positive contribution, we also have what it takes to face the challenges of Representation in other to succeed in any given assignment. It is not possible that we can get lost.

What is that one thing that if you get into the House Representatives, you will change that thing?
A number of things, when we get there, we will be able to organize our people together, they will have a sense of belonging to the government, a sense of participation, we will create a platform for people to participate in whatever we are doing. We will also create a peaceful atmosphere for people to come together in the spirit of oneness and by so doing that is already strength. We will then bargain for a lot of developmental programmes, we will speak to bring a number of things to our constituency and the people. We will also sponsor a number of programmes and projects that will really better the lots of our people. We will organize empowerment programmes that will ensure that our people are happy. That they will say for once we are part of the government. It is going to be an opportunity that people will be happy and say thank God that this person was there and he is representing us well.

Do we have cause to celebrate democracy in Akwa Ibom state today?
By God’s grace yes, because the living praise the Lord and every day we see a dawning of a new day, we say thank you God that brought us this far. For me, it is a success story and judging from what we were a couple of years ago, what we have seen today no matter what is worth acknowledging that there has been a tremendous development in the fortunes of the people despite the challenges. I want to say that from the creation of the state all the past administrations have made their contributions to where we are today as a state. We are favourably placed now among other states of the country.

WHAT DRIVES YOUR AMBITION?
It is not about the ambition but the heart for the people. Personally I have devoted my self to the service of the people in all things that I am doing. I also recognize the fact that everybody was created by God and by divine arrangement sometimes whoever you are privileged to be, you don’t see yourself as a super human being but as someone who has been privilleged by God maybe to be in a certain position, so it should not change you. My mentality is that of service and regarding another human being that was also created by God. You don’t look down on others. Because we were created by God and he is the one who controls our lives. It is a philosophy that I have developed for myself before I even became a commissioner. And I have not changed; I have always been who I am. We must recognize the fact that God created all of us equal and we are who we are just by privilege and the grace of God.

Do you have a God father that will help propel your ambition?
Laughs! God father is a political language; sometimes you have people that helped you. I like to use helpers it is scriptural, the word godfather is a political language. Godfather is one thing that has really been a problem of and in politics, I am not saying somebody should not have a good relationship with somebody that can help you but the word God father is one word I don’t really like to use because nobody should equate himself at the level of God because he is the almighty. God father means somebody who helps you which is allowed. There is nobody that should consider himself that he is God.

You have been sounding so religious, are you planning to open a church or are you a pastor?
Laughs! If you call me a pastor, I will say yes because I am a Christian who also believes in strong Christian principles because it is good and it helps the people live well.

Tell our readers who Samuel Effanga is in a nutshell?
Samuel Effanga is from uyo local government, a graduate of mathematics/statistics from the University of Calabar, I had opportunities to serve in different departments of government having worked as a civil servant before my appointment. I am a Christian who believes passionately in service to God and humanity, my aspiration in life is to be in a position that I will continue to be useful to serve humanity as much as I can go. Why I always emphasize that part of humanity is because you did not come to the world to live all on your own and then die. I always want to be of service to humanity and impact positively on the lives of others. The greatest legacy I will like to leave is the fact that I impacted positive virtues and people have seen you and get inspired to live well and retain hopes that as far as God is concerned, there is nothing God cannot do and there is nothing you cannot do.

What message do you have for the people of Uyo federal constituency and Akwa Ibom people as a whole as the 2015 election approaches?
May be to Nigerians we should seek to improve our democracy, within this transition period that we are going into we should embrace peace and dialogue. And lay hold on the tenets of democratic principles so that our society can be better for it. We want to see Nigeria develop including our state and federal constituency. We can make our country to be better than what we are doing today all this will come by being honest to ourselves. We should try to guard our democracy jealously, grow the democracy so that it can improve the society and then we all will be happy that we belong here.

Your message to Uyo federal constituency
The same message, that we should work together as a people, we should have collective aspiration to help our people wherever we are and we have the opportunity. We believe that as we are marching, we want to create a violent free federal constituency that we all will be happy to live. That will continue to grow and engage our self in economic ventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment