Tuesday 14 January 2014

My late husband, Gov Akpabio, 2015 & I

My late husband, Gov Akpabio, 2015 & I

 Distinguished Senator Helen Esuene presently represents the people of Eket Senatorial District at the red Chambers of the National Assembly. She is the chairperson senate committee on youths and women development. A member of the ECOWAS parliament, a former minister and a first lady to the then South Eastern states. She has always delivered effectively whenever she is called upon to serve the people and hence her impressive performances at the Senate of the federal Republic of Nigeria. A fortnight ago, she was a guest to Atlantic 104.5fm in a live phone in interview. In the interaction, Mrs. Esuene bore her mind on topical issues. She spoke on the need for women to be encouraged into politics, governance, business and other noble activities. She had kind words for the Governor Godswill Akpabio whom she described as digital. This erudite politician spoke on the pressure from Akwa Ibomites that she should contest the forthcoming 2015 gubernatorial election and added that the influences of her late husband, the Late Brigadier General Udoakaha Jacob Esuene on her life has kept her going. It was a vintage Helen Esuene who spoke. THE INK serves you an extract of the interaction. Enjoy

How do you assess women participation in politics in  Nigeria?

Thank you very much, a woman in politics, a woman in business, a woman in government entails a lot of handwork, in fact you work twice as hard as you can. Because in this era women are trying to show that they can participate in public activities, governance, in business without compromising their duty at home which include but not limited to looking after their children and husband so they have to work twice as hard. This is what I can say to all young girls who intend to go into all these areas. Women participation in politics in Nigeria has not gotten to a stage which we can beat our chest and say yes we have arrived. Rather Nigeria is behind other African countries in this respect, countries like Uganda, even Ghana they are doing much better in terms of percentages of women participation in politics. Nigeria has about 6 percent participation of women in politics while some other countries in Africa have up to 30 to 40 percent. We have to work harder in this area. Our male folks, the government and parties have to assist us to increase women participation in politics because women alone cannot do it. It has to be a collaborative effort on the part of women, party and the government.

Are the male folk not doing enough to encourage women in politics and what would you suggest?
No, they not doing enough, our men still have that attitude that the public sector should be their preserve that it should be just for the men. Men feel that women shouldn’t be publicly engaged. Like in politics most of our meetings are at night so most men don’t like that, they feel that women should not be having meetings at night but the crux of the matter here is not just having meetings at night, it’s not just having meetings in various places or engaging with people at various meetings or conferences that makes a good wife or makes a bad wife.

What would you say are those things that make a good or a bad wife?
Laughs, what makes a good wife is looking after the children, and husband, making sure that the home front is properly taken care of, in term of meals, hygiene, helping your children with their home work, things like that is what makes a good woman and every women should do such. Having meetings or going out at nights to have meetings in no way would make a woman bad. A woman who was a good wife will remain a good wife. That is what I can assure our male folk.

Do you think there are prospects of a better tomorrow in terms of men regards for women in politics?
Yes, I was very encouraged, there was a meeting that was organized by the UN women and they invited INEC and all political parties to talk on this issue. I think that is a step in the right direction. By the time INEC and all the parties agree at something concrete for the women, it will be good. I am suggesting we start at somewhere for instance the ward executive. Because what we have today is that, you still find that when you have party like in the wards there are 15 exco members and you have just one or very less number of women in the Exco. In regards to this, we have always asked if there are no women interested in some of these positions.

Don’t you think that if women come together they could also project some good women that could do well?
It is not as if we women don’t project ourselves. In fact, in politics you know that women drive the process a lot more than the men. But when it comes to appointments or elections this is where it is completely skilled in favour of the men.

There are talks that you have an eye on the number one seat of Akwa Ibom state and I wouldn’t know if this is in consonance with your position on women participation.
No no, it is not a gender issue, yes I am interested in the number one seat but not because of gender consideration. I am interested in that position because I have gathered a lot of experiences in public administration and governance at various levels and I have a good track record of achievements, I have a lot of goodwill in terms of people who rely on me and trust me, I have integrity. I am not trying to blow my trumpet but I have worked hard for it, I know I have that and people speak a lot about it.
I see myself as someone who is easily acceptable across board of course you know politics is very dynamic in Nigeria. And I belief I have something to offer the people of this state borne out of experiences, borne out of goodwill and knowledge. I have interest in the number one seat in the state but I am actually still consulting and when my people finally ask me to contest, I will follow the guidelines of INEC and will make my intentions known. Let me agree here that my people are persuading me to run. I am under pressure to contest but at the appropriate time, I will make my intention known like I said earlier.

I belief the incumbent Governor has built roads and done a lot of other things and invested in infrastructure and a number of other things in the state. What do you think will be innovative about your tenure or administration?
Thank you very much, our digital governor, I call him digital because he has taken governance to a very high level and he has really achieved a lot in infrastructural development in the state and all that you see should be a spring board to where we should be and where we should be should be self reliance, self sufficiency as a state and as individuals, job creation, empowerment of the people wealth creation to all. The goods roads and infrastructural must be transformed to where we really need to be which is wealth creation. I must commend my Governor Chief Godswill Akpabio for his services to the state, they are monumental. He knows the pulse of the people.

What is your take on tourism development?
It is an area that we have not really touched; we have not touched it at all. And it’s an area that will generate a lot of revenue for any community or government if properly managed. We have many tourist attractions natural ones and those we will build and develop. Because we need to develop those sites and make them attractive and let the world know about them. So it is an area that is still untouched. We have hotels around; people won’t just go to hotels they have to go there because they want to see something.

Let’s look at the achievements and the projects you have attracted to your senatorial district.
Every senator is allocated a certain amount that he/she uses for constituency projects. But it is the senator’s prerogative to decide what and where to site the projects. That is where we come in. we don’t execute those projects. We are not practically given the money. Once you identify the project, you take it to the relevant ministry, if it is health you take it to the ministry of health, if it is education you take it to Education.


For 2012, my constituency project was the women war memorial centre in Ikot Abasi. I chose this because it was a popular demand and also to correct an erroneous impression that had been created over the years because we kept quiet. Which was that the war started in Ikot Abasi and then spread to Aba that is where the colonial government was. They were protesting against female taxation and things like that. This edifice will draw more attention and create more awareness on were the war started.

 How do you intend to translate your integrity and experience in the public service, civil service and business world to the benefit of Akwa Ibom people in terms of your administration and industrialization of the state?
Thank you, translating experience into concrete manifestation of issues is something that is always on going, my experience in government will enable me to be able to manage the government in terms of the civil service and political appointees’ properly. It will enable me to put in place a sound administrative processes that will encourage transparency, confidence and delivery because I have been there, I know the areas that I will pay more attention to and I have also had some exposure on who to bring on what purpose? Is it Agriculture which we really need at this time? So you cannot really underestimate experience because it is something that is always there to lead you and I belief in a transparent government that will offer real democracy to the people.

Your late husband was seen by many as a transformer. In all these good things you do, are you toeing the line of your late husband or are you being yourself?
I will say both. Because I came from somewhere and I have gone through a path and I am where I am, the people you meet, every activity you involve in influences you in one way or the other, we were married for about 23-24 years before he died and that is a very long time, so definitely he has influenced me a great deal and he has influenced a lot in the area of hard work, being sensitive on how people feel about issues, in the area of being transparent he will always say look, in public life it is not just enough to be honest you have to be seen to be honest. He also being a military person impacted on me a lot of strength to be strong to do the things you want to do.

Do we conclude you are doing these in his loving memory?
Laughs!

What have you done in the Oro part of your Senatorial district?
Thank you very much for that question, in the Oro axis, I have built two class room blocks one in Urueoffong oruko and Udung Uko. I have drawn attention to the erosion menace in Iquta  and NDDC is currently working on it, they have given it out, they have given the design for that job out, in this current year, I have earmarked a fish processing centre for Mbo local government Area. So you can see within the five local governments of Oro that I have touched their lives. I have done other things in other places as well. There is also a fish drying center that is going to be build in Ibeno this year, a site has been given and contract awarded as part of my constituency projects. Solar street light projects have been done in Eastern Obolo also there is a mini oil processing farm in Esit Eket and food processing centre in Eket. Also I have attracted some road projects to the area as well. One is in Mkpat Enin and one is in Eket. A lot has been done. I have assisted some Oron youths to have overseas post graduate scholarships. I think within my tenure in the senate I have been able to impact some lives.

 Lately there have been talks about zoning in Akwa Ibom state what is your take on the concept of Zoning?
I belief it is what it should be for now. Yes people say in other develop countries it does not matter, yes, but ours is a young democracy we are just 14 years we need to build confidence first and we will get to a point people won’t bother who is there provided he/she can deliver but at the point we are now we need to build confidence and that confidence, zoning is part of the ingredient. Every section of this community and country needs that feeling that he/she belongs. So I support Zoning that is why I am not going back to the senate because in my senatorial district the arrangement is that each federal constituency that goes to the senate does two terms and is out so my predecessor did one, I am doing the second one, so I am not going back I really belief in zoning.

What are you doing for the people of Mkpat Enin?
Thank you, you know Mkpat Enin is one of largest local governments in Akwa Ibom state with 14 wards, most others have 10 some 11 or 12 but you have 14 in Mkpat Enin. I bare this in mind all the time, the road that is being constructed in Mkpat Enin is called Mkpat Enin- Ikot Abasi- Esa Ekpo road and is being constructed by NDDC. I drew attention to that road because during my campaign it was specifically mentioned that it is an old road and it spans so many communities but it is in a deplorable state so I drew attention to that road and the design for that road has been completed and I belief before long, the contract for that road will be awarded for construction.

Away from politics, let’s look at sports; you have contributed to the development of sports and youths in Akwa Ibom State. What is your impression of Nigeria’s performance in sports both locally and internationally in 2013 and how do you think we will better the performances?
 Thank you, I love sports I play lawn tennis, table tennis and badminton for many years, I belief sports should be encouraged among the young people because it teaches them team work, team spirit, it teaches them life skill of how to lose gallantly without a fight and how to win graciously without being pompous about it.

 I really belief sports should be encouraged a lot among youths and the growing masses. Nigerian sports men brought smiles to our faces when they win. I belief that every victory in sports has to do with how much home work you put into the tournament. I want to encourage all Nigerians to show more interest in sports especially the private sector. Because sporting activities worldwide is driven mainly by private sectors and not the government. Not just soccer alone. So that we can have more victories because when a team is victorious it puts smiles on the faces of all Nigerians.

What is the senate doing about Ibaka deep seaport?
Ibaka deep sea port is Akwa Ibom state project and in partnership with the federal government. It is in progress the senate does not really have any direct thing to do about it, at least for now.

How do people of your constituency get across to you as their representative?
My constituency office is fully operational in Eket. It is one of the best constituency offices, I am very proud of it and it has full complement of staff and internet WIFI is there and anybody who has a problem at anytime can just work in there and discuss the problem and it will be attended to.

You’re parting shot.
My parting short is, this is a new year 2014 we thank God that we are alive to celebrate it, it is going to be a very dynamic year than others because it is a year that active politics is going to be played and my advice is that we should play it as brothers and sisters, it is not a do or die affair, we should live and let’s live, do ours and allow others to do theirs at the end of it all, let all Akwa Ibom people make their choice.

Thank you very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment