Friday, 16 March 2018

Youth leader shot dead by suspected militants in Akwa Ibom

Barely 48 hours after the State government outlawed activities of no fewer than 33 cults groups in Akwa Ibom State, suspected militants of the Iceland group have shot dead one Udeme Daniel Akpan.

Until his gruesome murder early yesterday morning, the deceased, father of three, was the youths’ leader of Ikot Edet community in Etim Ekpo Local Government Area.

It was gathered, the deceased who was at the forefront of fighting the cult menace in his community, was served a notice to pay some undisclosed amount to the militants or risked being killed.

According to family sources, “he had to escape to the neighbouring community of Ibio Nnung Achat, where he remained as a fugitive until the militants obtained information through their network and mobilized to kill him”.
“In fact, the shooting this morning was so heavy that Policemen stationed at Ibio Nnung Achat, had to scamper for safety”, he explained and called on government to deploy soldiers to the area as local residents flee the area in droves.

When contacted, the Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), Mr. Odiko Macdon Ogbeche, expressed surprise, that the action could jeopardize the peace deal the government, security agencies and stakeholders were on the trying to broker for the militants to drop their arms.

He assured that the security agencies would have no other option to declare mass Police action in order to dislodge the hoodlums, while mopping up small arms and light weapons in the affected communities.

It could be recalled that governor Udom Emmanuel, apparently worried by frequent security breaches by militants in the area, read riot act on Wednesday at a security stakeholders’ meeting held at Etim Ekpo Council Hall.
At the meeting, the governor had urged the militants to embrace the peace deal and comply with the 21-day ultimatum given by the Commissioner of Police (CP), Mr, Adeyemi Samuel Ogunjemilusi, for them to handover arms in their possession in return for amnesty.

“But barely 24 hours, the militants spurned the carrot and breached the ceasefire with the gruesome assassination of the youths’ leader, it is shocking and surprising”, Effiong Obot, a member of the community vigilance group laments.  

No comments:

Post a Comment