Tuesday 11 August 2015

No jamboree in battlefield

BY ANIEFIOK ESSAH
   
Life is good; if you never knew it to be so,  put a call through to LG and find out. 

But, unfortunately, a lot of people know nothing about the sanctity of human life, especially our strayed and culpable youths. You may call them exuberant and delinquent youths, censurable youths, blameworthy youths; you may call them offenders, wrongdoers, guilty party or law-breakers, you may call them reprehensible youths, criminals, miscreants or men of forbidden practices. This type of youths have lost all respect for life. Greed, envy, blind imitations or insatiable appetites have dehumanized them. “I want to have this, that and the other”, “I want to drive a customized Jeep”, “I want to fly in a private Jet and cuisine in a Titanic-like oceanliner”, “I want to dwell in a castle”, “I want to marry an out-of-this-world queen”, “I want to show them that I have arrive”, “Level don change”…bla-bla-bla. Human life, to these get-rich-quick guys, means nothing, yet they hate to die. Unfortunately, even today fathers and mothers, like wicked King Ahaz of Judah, carry on this same practice as they sacrifice their unborn children in the name of reproductive rights to the harsh gods of convenience and economy. They sell or even kill their own children for money, claiming they have the right: Anie mkpo anam nanha ama”. 


For the love of lucre, ritualists abound! This odd life! Often, we start out in life with an attitude of humility, only to succumb to pride when we end up on top. Crude Opportunists! A typical example is Uzziah (2 Chronicles 26) who became proud and corrupt. My people, my people (Akwa Ibom people)! If God has given you health, wealth, wisdom, popularity, fame, influence or power, be thankful and be careful, so that you do not sin against Him. Check your attitudes and remember to give God the credit for everything you are/have.

Hmmm… I cannot forget such dastardly act. Man! Rumour mill has it that he was a boyfriend to the boy’s sister. One version says the dead boy was a handsome young barber somewhere before the elder boy who called himself “Master” lured him for an homosexual relationship. When he learnt that the innocent barber decided to take it no more, for shame of being exposed, he snuffed life out of him. Could that be enough reason, even if, to take human life? Ubon-owo! As a humanitarian, and being a victim of man’s inhumanity to his fellow man, I named my son Mankind. Was this other man a madman? Nutcase? Psychotic Paronoa? Dear reader, I am terribly bitter, in and out. My heart breeds. The beast in me has taken over the best in me. “Ibout atebe me anyaha-nyaha nte mkpewot owo, Nnyamini ke nyom!” I want that Anambra boy who killed my Ibibio brother! I want that butcher who cut my brother’s head off and hacked the limbs… I need that sonofabitch who hewed my brother like a carcase fit for hounds. Should he live? Are hundreds of him worth that innocent victim? Imprisoning or killing the idiot is not the best option. As a humanist, the death of any human being diminishes me. But, I want this Satan to live, then die instalmentally. Each week, I want to do away with a part of his body. I don’t want the evils that he does to live after him, I want him to experience them here and now so that, if there is any after-life, he will remain humane to his follow human beings. That too will deter his co-travelers on the evil lane. Jesus! How are the deceased’s parents coping with the agony and shame? Are the nine months of pains, the training, the sufferings and sorrowings to raise the boy going in vain?!

A minute silence…Quitting versus quieting? Am I entreated to quit my writing hobby or be quiet over societal ills in order to go to heaven? No, dear reader, no! in my piece last week (MY TRIP VIA THE HOLY WRIT), I told you that I have read through the Bible but I’m not yet born-again. So, I earnestly wish that this killer-boy doesn’t make me miss heaven. With a humble heart on bended knees, I beg of you, Lord, forgive my sins and take over my heart and mind, as I cannot get holy in a hurry. I know that you were at where you used to be when they killed your only begotten son. And you are still there. You saw when Stephen Anona killed Daniel Bassey Solomon (I thank God that Daniel’s names have “Abasi” in the middle). “Vengeance is mine, I shall repay”, you assured us.

Now, what do I do? Brethren, I want to preach. You are free to say “See who is preaching!”: We have read of Abram’s mistakes, and we know he was only human. Though sinful, Abram believed and trusted God. It was faith, not actions, that made Abram right with God. We too can have a right relationship with God by believing in him. Our outward actions – church attendance, offertory, prayers, good deeds – will not by themselves make us right with God. It is also important to recognize that our mistakes do not separate us from God’s love or His sheer grace. A right relationship is based on faith. And what is faith? It is, simply, believing. Believe that God is who He says He is and does what He says He will do. May this Uncreated Creator help us to choose the best, also to cling to Him in total dependence.

This is not the peaceful Akwa Ibom State the world used to know. Men of power have bastardized our own dear native land. Come, let’s sanitize the land. “Come, let’s build together”. First and foremost, we have to choose who or what we will love and obey: God, our own limited personality, or another imperfect substitute. Remember what Moses told the Israelite s: “Choose ye this day who ye shall serve”. Yes, the right choice brings strength, blessings, and life; while the wrong choice results in despair, curses, and death. Our beloved State is down but not out. God wants all of us to depend on Him and turn to Him for direction each day of our life. If we know we are following His will, then we don’t have to be afraid or discouraged. We, sheepishly, followed “godswill” instead of God’s Will, that’s why we are in this fix today. We had misdirected our confidence away from you, Lord; please, forgive me, forgive us. 

My people, stop finding faults in Udom (Akpabio’s boy). When Akpabio (like Julius Caesar to Marcus Antonius) says to Udom “Do this”, it is performed. All we need are prayers. It’s time to act like soldiers. When I say soldiers, I make no reference to luxurious ones. There is no bigmanism, no red carpet, no fanfare, no leisure or jamboree in a battlefield. As nobody is expected to sleep while on duty, so should nobody play during warfare. We may not be able to pray as CAN or PFN members but, seriously, let’s P.U.S.H (Pray Until Something Happens). Before the prayers, let us bury all those things that retrogress us selfishness, greed, nepotism, anger, hatred, disunity are a few of them. Remember one of my old articles – “FUNERALS: A RECIPE FOR CHANGE”?

AKWA Ibom people, let us know that learning to say thank-you is one of the most important lessons of life. It’s not just a matter of manners. Gratitude is a virtue that helps us remember the obligations and responsibilities we owe others in return for the good gifts we have received. For example, through Obong Attah, Akwa Ibom became the wealthies State in Nigeria but Akpabio, like the proverbial prodigal son, came, squandered or plundered all. Let’s prove to God that we are not ingrates by serving Him His favourite meals – thanks and praises – so that He will be pleased to give us even more and restore our sullied glory:
Father of all mercies, Akwa Ibom people are people of a special anointing; we are named after you. 

Dear God, please, heal our land. Let all these killings stop. Guide our leaders aright as they too take “KEEP RIGHT” as their shortest prayers. We, thine unworthy people, do give thee most humble and unfeigned thanks for all thy goodness and loving-kindness to all men, especially our beloved State. Thanks for creating and preserving us. Thanks for all the blessings of life, for Jesus Christ – the lifeline of our deadline, for the means of grace and for the hope of glory. You are the God of all nations. We of Akwa Ibom nation believe in you and believe that you will make a way for us. Although life’s problems go from bad to worse, we believe that it is You alone who can reverse this downward spiral. We trust that You can take our problems and turn them into glorious victories. Come, Lord, and show us your mercy. Please, hearken to our prayers. In the matchless name of Jesus Christ we pray and thank you God the father, we thank your son and thank Your Holy Spirit – the Trinity in perfect unity. Amen.       

No comments:

Post a Comment