Thursday 26 December 2013

Ibibio, Etim Ibaba, Etim Usung Afere

Protocols
Introduction 

I find myself privileged and humbled by the invitation extended to me as Guest Speaker at this  epoch-making occasion, if  you permit me to hazard a guess, I would think that my choice as Guest Speaker may have been born out of my relationship with the Distinguished Senator. Otherwise, it is the extension of the common ancestry between Etefia Ikono and Anantia Ibiono. It is this ancestral affinity that explains our cultural bonding when we proclaim:

Ito Usung Idung Ke-ed
Inwongo Ukud Idim Ke-ed
Ikpono Iso ndem Ke-ed
Ita adukpok eku ke-ed

But what provided a greater impetus to my coming here today is the undisputed position of Ikono as the cradle of the Ibibio nation (Ntippe Ibibio) Noah (1994), Ukpong (2007) Umana & Eka (2012), Umoh – Faithman (1999), Udo (1983), Ettang (1987), Ukpon et al (2001).
Umoh- Faithmaqn (1999) succinctly captures the place of Ibibio genealogy when he said 


“the Ibibio people started to form their settlement around Ibom near Arochukwu – subsequently, they extended to Itu Mbonuso and Ibiaku Ntok Okpo before spreading to places now occupied by them… the Ibibio of yesterday and of today and tomorrow regard Ikono as their chiefest  group or clan from where all other groups or clans proceeded”
Having defined my locus, therefore, I am confident that I am addressing not just the Ikono people today, but the entire Ibibio nation and their friends. To the Paramount Ruler of Ikono, Senator Aloysius Etok, Dr Clement Bassey and the  entire Ikono People here present, I bring you felicitations from your brother, the Paramount  Ruler of Ibiono Ibom, Okuku (Dr) Ime Udousoro Inyang whose 10th Anniversary we are celebrating about this time tomorrow at Oko Ita, the political headquarters of Ibiono Ibom.

NIGERIA: THE JOURNEY SO FAR
The Ibibios, as we all know, were the earliest to organize themselves for purposeful socio-economic development (Udoma 1987) and also the progenitors of state creation exercise in Nigeria (Akpan, 1994). Our contribution to the entity called Nigeria has never been in doubt. We have produced great men and women at the highest levels who have sacrificed even their lives to makes our survival as a nation possible. Yet, we have remained what our people refer to as etok udok anam utom mkpa akang.
By January, 2014, Nigeria will celebrate the Centenary of her existence as amalgamated geo-polity. Those who love this country know that save for sheer survival; we have lost so much opportunity for accelerated economic development. The discovery of crude oil precipitated the rent collection syndrome with consequential corruption. Some have even suggested that this marriage of convenience is hypocritical and needs a surgical re-examination (Kanu, 2013). I hope that the proposed national dialogue will offer us the unique opportunity of sitting down and talking to ourselves earnestly and frankly. For me, anything short of true fiscal federalism and respect for the principles of derivation is prolonging the evil day. I have brought this position in the hope that our visitors from the National Assembly will return to Abuja not only with our traditional Kolanuts, but also the feelings of the Ibibio people. 

As at today, if we sniff into the expose of former President  Olusegun Obasanjo, the treatise of Sanusi Lamido Sanusi (CBN Governor) and the comments of Aminu Waziri Tambuwal (Speaker of the House of Representatives) to President Goodluck Jonathan, all of who are from the same political family, you will agree that Nigeria is experiencing severe hemorrhage (This day, 2013). May I, therefore, call on all men of goodwill to stand up and be counted in the battle to save the nation.
  
AKWA IBOM AND 2015
Permit me, Ladies and Gentlemen, to comment on these over-flogged issues of Akwa Ibom and 2015. All I hear in the political firmament is that of zoning and rotation of the leadership of our State. I must warn that it is so much of our loyalty to our region and tribe, and the enthronement of mediocrity that has brought Nigeria to its present sorry state. For now, however, it would appear that there is already a consensus that our next Governor will be an Ibibio man or woman. My desire is to see such Ibibio man (or woman), of whatever Senatorial district, occupy the Hilltop Mansion. But, my ideal candidate should be someone who has something extra to offer in terms of integrity, broad-mindedness and the fear of God. From our recent experience, we can summarize that the hallmark of good leader is in his character–DNA which engenders trust and strengthens the social contract between the leader and the people. Such a leader has to be voluntarily elected by his people. No amount of gangsterism, intimidation, manipulation, coercion, clowning or cloning should make the Ibibio accept a Governor they cannot trust. In order, therefore, to maximize our chances, the Ibibios must resist the temptation of putting all their eggs in one basket. Yak ado, itim ibaba itim usung afere.

THE HONOREES    
Today, in the language of Mark Anthony, I have come to burry Caesar and not to praise him. I came here today to drop a bombshell! But before that, may I request that we all stand up and observe a minute silence in honour of the memory of the immediate past political leader of Ikono, Obong (Prophet) Monday Udo Inyang who, by God’s benevolence upon his life, did his best during his time. I came here today to tell Senator Aloysius Etok and Dr. Clement Bassey that Ikono people have conspired to kill them by installing them as political leaders. This is so because they are being sent to the war front. But since they have dressed up and presented themselves here today, I have every reason to assume that they are privy to this socio- conspiratorial arrangement, and have all it takes to lift Ikono, nay Ibibio, people out of the present political quagmire. I will refuse to celebrate them today until their task is done. I rather have come here to let you know that true leadership is woven in the fabric of humility and compassion.

You probably would have read about the story of the King and the old widow (not Oshiomole and the young widow). But for the benefit of those who are not familiar with this thought-provoking story, let me paraphrase it. One night, the old widow went to sleep. It was winter and quite cold. Waking up the following morning, she discovered that her home had been burgled. After the initial lamentations, she hurriedly dressed up and went to see the King. Without much ado, the King’s gate-keepers allowed her to go into the palace and wait for the king. Shortly, the king appeared and was confronted with a wailing widow. “How may I help you, my dear mother?” The king enquired. Then she fell on her knees, still crying. “Long may my King live! I woke up this morning to find out that my only dwelling place had been burgled. I know that my home was burgled only because I went to sleep. And I went to sleep because I thought my King was watching over me. My King had promised to protect me and all that I have at all times”. Bending down to lift up the sobbing lady, the King apologized for the misfortune and caused the stolen items to be replaced. Lesson no I.

Lesson no 2 is borrowed from the greatest Leader of all times, Jesus Christ himself when he said “I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep “(John 10:11, KJV). God sparing my life, I will come back to roll out the drums celebrating both of you when you can write your epitaph like Nelson Mandela (1918-2013).   

“On my last days, I want to know that those who remain
Behind would say: the man who lived here had done his
Duty for his country and his people….”  
Lesson no 3 must be gleaned from the life and character of Madiba himself for whom the whole world stood still last week.

CONCLUSION
Never has the Ibibio emancipation been challenged as today. Therefore, more than ever before, we need men and women who are conscious of our collective deprivation and are ready to rise up to the occasion from today, Aloysius is no longer from Ediene. Ipso facto, Dr. Bassey has ceased to come from Nkwot. They will henceforth spread like octopus throughout the length and breadth of Ikono land. Today I came to tell Ikono people:

Akedo unyai, amum efuud.
Awot uko atua usen nnaneyin
Atumo awo, awo isi kpokoke
Awot Oku idem, isi daha idem

How far these twosome can go will depend on your support and our collective prayers.
Finally, I recognize that this gathering is a mixed multitude and I salute even the saboteurs amongst us.

Adoho akpok aduo aduk adan nkwed mi,
Ekpu akene aduo aduk,
Nanga idem adisat akpok
Mme aya kene isat ekpu?

In spite of all the machinations to split us, do not be deceived; Ibibio have their true leaders. When the time is nigh, they will signal, and we must all follow: Ukud ebo ase adio nte ubok adio.

Long live Ikono people!
Long live Ibibio!
Long live Akwa Ibom State!
Long live the Federal Republic of Nigeria!

May God bless all of us as we return to our homes?
Merry Christmas!

Being a lecture delivered by Dr Nsima Umoh (Abai Ibiono) during the installation of Sen. Aloysius Etok as the political leader of Ikono LGA.

No comments:

Post a Comment